The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that the Cadillac Escalade has the dubious honor of being the vehicle with the most insurance claims for theft.
The IIHS looked at insurance claims for stolen vehicles between 2008-2010 collected by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) found the following vehicles had the highest claim rates per 1,000 vehicles.
- Cadillac Escalade (all 4 versions) with Escalade EXT stolen at the highest rate with 14 claims per 1,000 vehicles
- Ford F-250 crew 4WD – 9.7 claims
- Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew – 9.2 claims
- Ford F-450 crew 4WD – 7.9 claims
- GMC Sierra 1500 crew – 7.3 claims
- Chrysler 300 – 7.1 claims
- Ford F-350 crew 4WD – 7.1 claims
- Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 – 6.4 claims
- GMC Yukon – 6.4 claims
- Chrysler 300 HEMI – 6.3
The vehicles with the lowest claim rates per 1,000 vehicles were:
- Audi – .5 claims
- Mercury Mariner – .5 claims
- Chevrolet Equinox – .6 claims
- Volkswagen CC – .6 claims
- Chevrolet Equinox 4WD – .6 claims
- Lexus RX 350 – .6 claims
- Saturn VUE – .6 claims
- Chevrolet Aveo – .6 claims
- BMW 5 series 4WD – .7 claims
- Mino Cooper Clubman – .7 claims/ol>
From this list, you can tell that thieves are targeting large pickup trucks. That makes those vehicles cost more to drive per year because of the fuel and insurance costs.
This information is provided by Seattle car Accident Lawyer blog, a service of The Farber Law Group. We represent people who have been seriously injured in automobile accidents and the family of those killed.
Car theft prevention tips
Contact The Farber Law Group at 1-800-244-9087 or email@example.com to schedule a free and confidential case evaluation. We have offices in Seattle and Bellevue to assist you.